"Assignment 5 from Course Syllabus:
Students should periodically consult instructor throughout the process of the project to ensure that enough work is done and objectives of final project are addressed. As well there should be an in class dialogue with class peers regarding work. (As usual positive in class participation is expected).
Work can also include the interaction of the original colour of a selected material with other coloured surface(s)/materials or the occasional coloured object may be placed on a coloured surface. 20% of time should be spent on 3D component and 80% should be spent on the execution of the drawing. It is suggested that this option be chosen only if the person has aptitude and tools for making 3D work.
2) Develop collage in a drawing and/ or use of text or create a new type of bookwork as long as an innovative language of drawing is demonstrated. Consider book to be innovative with visual metaphorical layers of meaning.
3) Drawing in relation to a technology of choice: film, video, digital imaging (computers), cyber space, sound, photography, photocopying, printmaking, and/or a drawing project that addresses issues concerning media and culture.
4) Drawing that is process based, or time based, or performance based.
5) You may have part of your drawing allude to a cultural critique addressing an issue or a combination of issues such as: economic class, power, gender, sexuality, environment or race.
6) Open Project (Expand definition of Drawing in relation to Experimental and Innovative Contemporary Art Practices)
As in previous course assignments prepare yourself with a large variety of potential images and materials to work from, and mentally prepare yourself for risk taking, reworking, re-editing, researching, applying criticism and generally experimenting with conviction, and also have materials available for any small preliminary works and you will have a very successful work or series. Allow substantial time for "risk taking, reworking, re-editing, researching, applying criticism and generally experimenting with conviction".
Drawing Studio 2 Winter 2011