Monday, April 3, 2017
Assignment Description: Traditional drawing materials in relation to time based mediums such as sound, video, animation, book works, and or performance. As in previous assignments in the course the Time Based Drawing Assignment should present a hybrid of drawing materials and/or process with thematic layers conveyed in a unique and innovative manner. As usual aesthetic (formal visual languages) should be synthesized with thematic layers (conceptual content) Overall work should move toward thematic performance or process and or time based work with traditional drawing materials.
Purpose: The goal of the assignment is to have students combine traditional materials with more contemporary art methods. Material options to select from could include traditional materials such as drawing materials (graphite, conte, and/or oil pastel), paint, various 2-dimensional surfaces (board, and/or paper) in combination with video cameras (cameras could include cellphones or tablets) and/or projections, printed matter, objects (found or crafted), and installation. Students potentially work as live performer with text, images, and/or audio with traditional drawing materials.
Potential Subject Matter and Themes:
1) Dynamics of the gaze, including power relations within the process of interpreting subject matter. Students will be asked to attempt to subvert these dynamics in a process and/or performance work. Students will be encouraged to explore themes of personal identities and/or rituals in the context of blurred or multimedia disciplines with traditional drawing material(s).
2) Open-ended themes include potential non-linear narratives, metaphors on time, aging, transition, loss, political struggle, and/or cycles.
3) There could also be the theme relating to the problem of drawing materiality in the digital era.
4) Strive to have materials and/or processes that convey fictional or real themes, metaphors, and/or narratives. The body is to be understood as a site of political or social critique. As part of the thematic layers, integration of a cultural critique into the prosthesis could be also be an option in relation to traditional drawing material(s).
5) Themes not included on list is permitted provided a brief description (1 -2 sentences) is presented to instructor and approved by instructor
Some Examples of Time-Based Drawing (many more are possible - see what you can research!)
Posted by Derek Brueckner at 9:26 PM